How the
Streets
of
HARPER'S
CHOICE
were Named

This information
is courtesy of
Barbara Kellner,
Coordinator,
Welcome Center,
run by the
Columbia Association

Village of Harper's Choice
Photograph by Jan Adams
Copyright. All Rights Reserved.

Harper's Choice is named for Harper Goodloe Carroll. The Carroll estate was located in the area and was sold to The Rouse Company for Columbia. His widow asked that an appropriate spot in the area be named for him.

STREET NAMES

HOBBIT'S GLEN and the street names come from the works of
J.R.R. Tolkien, an English author. This is the lone exception to the American author standard.

LONGFELLOW is named for Henry Wadsworth Longfellow, a 19th Century American poet. The street names come from his works.

SWANSFIELD takes its name from James Abbott McNeill Whistler's etching The Swan. The street names come from the works of Winslow Homer, marine and genre painter of the late 19th and early 20th Century, and from James Whistler, late 19th Century artist.

OTHER STREET AND PLACE NAMES

Abbott House takes its name from James Abbott McNeill Whistler.

Kahler Hall is named for the Kahlers, landowners who sold to The Rouse Company. The Kahler property was part of the 1039-acre parcel put together by Robert Moxley -- the first piece of land acquired for the development of Columbia.

Florence Bain Senior Center is named for Florence Bain. She founded the AARP chapter, was first chairperson of Howard County's Commission on Aging, and fought hard for a county senior activity center. The center opened in 1983. Bain was the mother of Henry Bain, a member of Columbia's planning work group.

Joseph's Square used to be the name for the Village Center. It was named for John Joseph, chairperson of the first Harper's Choice Village Board. He died October 31, 1970. The name was changed to Harper's Choice Village Center in 199x.

Beaverkill Road is named for a historic American covered bridge. A "kill" is a stream.

Home Page